Today I have a treat for with this Beetroot and Hazelnut Chocolate Brownie easy plant-based dessert recipe.
I’m a lover of all things cakey – who isn’t, right?
In fact, my main concern with focusing on a more plant-based lifestyle was that I wasn’t going to be able to enjoy the occasional (daily) cake, brownie or muffin.
I needn’t have worried!
It turns out almost anything can be made with plant-based ingredients, including these delicious chocolate brownies.
They’re not too sweet so go down very easily (I’ve eaten two while writing this post) and are easy to make using a few ingredients.
Just to make these even more tempting I made them with my four-year-old without losing the will to live and he loved them – point to me for sneaking some veggies in there!
What is the nutritional info?
Not great on the calories! It’s the oil.
As I said above, I’m in the process of developing a brownie recipe without the oil
Make sure to subscribe to get updated when I figure this out.
Click the pin image below to save this post in the plant-based recipes series for later.
If you try this meal or have taken some inspiration from it leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @thefamilyfeedblog.
Beetroot and Hazelnut Chocolate Brownie Recipe
- 250 g self raising flour
- 250 g demerara sugar
- 65 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 100 g beetroot finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped hazelnuts finely chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Add in the water and oil.
- Stir in the chopped beetroot and hazelnuts.
- Pour in to a lined baking tin or oven proof dish to roughly 1/1.5 inches deep, I used two square oven proof dishes that I already had in the cupboard.
- Pop them in the oven from between 20 and 30 minutes depending what gooey to cakey level you prefer. I wanted a cakey brownie so left them in for the full 30 minutes.