If you love fajitas then this is the meal for you, if you don’t then why did you click on the fajita bowl post?!
It has everything that makes a fajita so amazing but low enough in calories that you can eat twice the amount.
This meal is comfort food at its finest while being quick and easy to make – what more could you ask for when feeding a family!
To understand how much food this is you need to know how big our bowls are, they’re 20cm diameter and sold as serving bowls!
The picture of me holding the bowl below should give you some idea of the size.
How is this fajita bowl vegan?
I have used tempeh rather than chicken in this recipe and it works so well.
I sliced the tempeh thinly into strips and it gave the tempeh a really nice texture.
You could potentially use tofu if you’re a massive tofu lover, I haven’t tried it as I feel like the tofu isn’t firm enough to give the right texture that you want from this recipe.
why you should save, pin, create and share this fajita bowl recipe
Have you seen the calories? Only 497 calories for a bowl of food this size.
The best part about this meal is that there is so much veg in it, but you don’t feel like you’re missing out on anything.
If you’re looking for another low calorie recipe, check out our Greek-Style Beans for a whopping 130 calories.
When youre busy trying to run around after one or more children you need to have recipes that you know are going to be quick to make.
This recipe is less than 30 minutes from start to table and most of it can be chucked in the same pan.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
TOTAL COST: £10.03
COST PER PORTION: £2.50
The good news is that once you have bought some ingredients once you won’t need to buy them again for a while so next time you make these it will only cost £2.19 per portion!
If you decide to add some wraps the serving size can increase to 8 moving your cost per portion to £1.49.
If you decide to give this recipe a go drop me a comment or tag on Instagram @the_family_feed to show me how you enjoyed it.
- 1 romaine lettuce chopped
- 3 peppers sliced
- 1 pack button mushrooms (roughly 200g)
- 1 red onion sliced
- 100 g sweetcorn
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- ½ pack tempeh (roughly 130g)
- 1 pack fajita spice mix (I used an Old El Paso Smokey BBQ mix)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c
- In a baking tray add the mushrooms and half the garlic, and cook in the oven for 15 minutes
- In a pan cook the tempeh, onion, sweetcorn, peppers and the rest of the garlic
- Once the tempeh is turning brown and the vegetables are softened add the fajita spice mix
- Cook the rice as per the packet instructions
- Bung everything in a bowl and enjoy!